Dog poisoning

Poisonous plants for dogs

Did you know that just in North America alone there are almost a thousand species of plants that are considered poisonous to dogs and other house pets? All too often when a dog is taken to the veterinarian for sickness and the vet explains to the owner that it was the result of poison, the dog owners all jump to the conclusion that “someone else” must have poisoned their dog.

More than 95% of such veterinarian visits are the result of garden poisoning from owners who unknowingly beautified their landscape with daffodils or bulbs of hyacinth, without a clue that these common plants can be fatal to animals. A dog can literally dig into the ground and unearth a bulb which can immediately become the object of its chewing desire.  Once swallowed, it becomes a lethal ingestion.

Autumn crocus plans, Glory Lilies, and the star-of-Bethlehem are other examples of popular plants which are very poisonous. The lily-of-the-valley is another lovely plant that is popular in many homes but once snatched up by a puppy can spell certain death.

A true botanist at heart loves a yard that is quilted with cornflower, black eyed Susan, golden glow, lantana, sweet peas, and bleeding heart. But if a dog lives in this very same atmosphere, certain death is lurking inside each and every one of these plants.

Extra caution!

Did you know that the poinsettia, known everywhere as the beautiful “Christmas Plant” and used in hundreds of thousands of homes during the holidays, is so dangerous that a single leaf chewed up by a child can be fatal?